Thursday, September 20, 2012

Why I like 'Lakshya'

This particular movie is one of my most favourite movies ever. And the reasons are as follows: 
* The protagonist Karan Shergill - And the transformation in his character is quite inspiring! 

*The subtle humour sprinkled about - One of my most favourite scenes from the movie is 'Detail Dhava Position' from GC Karan Shergill's unruly early IMA days. Watch it because description doesn't do it justice. Besides, I was the only person in the movie hall to laugh out loud at this scene.



*The music: Each and every song in this movie is so damn inspiring. Especially 'Payega jo lakshya hai tera'. It just fills my mind with unlimited vigour.

*Boman Irani as Karan Shergill's father: You just expect him to do something funny anytime, but he holds his fort as a credible character without it becoming a caricature, doesn't he?
*The secondary characters: They are brilliantly detailed and played. Each one has a significance and Karan Shergill rarely has the best lines in the movie! It's these characters that give the film so much depth. Think Amitabh Bachchan who doesn't dominate. Think Sushant Singh with his 'Malihabad ke aam' and Ranveer Shorey with his extremely good luck. They stay with you.

*The beautifully shot battle scenes: ('Shot' isn't quite the right word) I've seen other war movies made by Indian filmmakers and I think this movie has some of the best of the lot. After seeing LOC my father said that the scenes in that movie were probably more detailed and accurate, but Lakshya had more heart without it being melodramatic and loud (literally... Imagine Sunny Deol in border... or Ajey devgan's swear words beeped out in LOC)

Lakshya's battle scenes were balanced well by other events like the hospital scene etc. Even though Preity Zinta had the most ridiculous wigs on, and botched up her accent in a scene or two, she adds a feminist flavour to the film which doesn't have noteworthy women characters (Lillet Dubey has an excruciatingly tiny part in the film)
*The fact that I got a running commentary from my father throughout this movie. He was transported back to his IMA days, and I heard stories from him about his time there which convinced me that my father was a wild child! I've seen his photos from his college days and the transition from that long haired-cigarette smoking-bellbottom wearing boy from Bombay to the uniformed Second Lieutenant was quite similar to Karan Shergill's in the movie. 

After the movie, he told me that they made him repeat a semester for disciplinary reasons. That day, my jaw dropped to the floor and my father officially became my No. 1 hero! 



This movie has added so much value to my life as well as to Indian films!


2 comments:

igautlucky said...

Hello Meghana!
Nice post.
I am not a blogger, neither do I follow blogs. The only thing that lead me here (and made me leave a comment here)is 'Lakshya'.
I just finished watching the movie today (again after a long gap) and I was just checking out its review when I came across your blog "Why I like Lakshya' (in 2012!?)
There have been numerous new releases each year - BO records being broken, but none of them is even close to Lakshya (atleast thats what I feel).
Unlike you, I am not from a family of soldiers and so there is no 'connection' with the movie, but somehow it has been my all time favorite. I personally think it is a very well made movie. Be it the script, the direction, BG score, cinematography, music, cast or screenplay - everything is just perfect. I also love the fact that though it is essentially a war movie, there is never too much stress on patriotism. Rather it also talks about responsibility, inspiration, respect and human relations - not to forget the way a beautiful lovestory is woven amidst all the chaos; and yet nothing really being highlighted in the entire movie. Movie making at its best!
And honestly, I have never come across someone who thought it was a good movie. I thought I was the only one here, and thats why I was quite surprised and happy to read your blog!
Cheers :)

Unknown said...

Hello Meghana....
Liked the way you portrait "Lakshya" in words...
One of the incredible movies, which inspires in a right way... and was a tough decision by Farhan Akhtar to make such a movie during the time when we are expecting nothing more but same Border or LOC like sequences but hey... its more than Just a War Story... its a fight by a person to himself and he won the same leaving no doubts behind.

Its the story of courage to fight back and win the trust, identity and dignity which the character had lost.

Its Just not the win over a post in Kargil but the win over life.

Truly in love with it and glad to see people acknowledging there likes for the movie.

Bingo! :)