Sunday, April 22, 2012

A pen is mightier than a sword... but does it have to be an expensive pen?

It's weird calling myself a comic artist because:
1. I'm no good at drawing
2. I don't read most of the cult comics stuff. 
3. I don't have much of a comic style
4. I don't have many great script ideas
And most importantly,
5. I don't have an expensive pen.

But what does having an expensive pen got to do with comic art? I would never know, since I never owned or used an expensive pen to draw, right? 
Except when I studied architecture and we had to draw using Isograph pens and ink. But those were architectural design drawings. And most of my isograph pens were hand me downs. 
I could never really afford high end and expensive equipment, although I wanted to buy all that once I started earning. But I didn't when I did. 
And I was never even gifted an expensive pen.
I think it's the commie in me that prevents me from buying an expensive pen. (thats being a hypocrite of the highest order... )
But I've been drawing and I have been writing. Mostly for myself... and I like it like that. 

I don't need an expensive pen.
Or do i?


PS: a 'pen' encompasses more than just the 'pen' in the above article, you can read it as 'a complete set of tools and equipments required for a so called graphic artist'

1 comment:

AB said...

Hello :)

Now when I know how to use graphics-based softwares, I can say that its the thought that counts, not the tool to bring that thought onto paper/monitor.

Just for curiosity's sake, can you tell me which 'expensive pen' you are looking for?