Saturday, August 2, 2008

007:365

080801


007:365
Originally uploaded by DraconianRain
After five hopeless days…
Pretty cool eh?
Well, even if it isn’t to you… it is to me…
I ACTUALLY did it. Revived Shekhar Sir’s old GSN camera! That’s what he gave it to me for… All that it needed was a 6 v battery of the 4LR44 kinds. And those are hard to find here. I had an idea of actually fabricating one with four 1.5 v batteries of the LR44 kinds. But I felt it was stupid. So when another friend suggested I try it out, I said, what the heck…after 5 days of failure, what’s the big deal with facing another one…
So a few minutes later, I had 4 1.5 v LR44 batteries with me. Hunted the old drawers for a spring. That’s where I keep all the old junk that I feel I will use some day or the other but end up storing for ages altogether.
So I had the batteries, the spring, some thick handmade paper and tape, and a nut (no… not me). I just taped all the four LR44 batteries together, and wrapped the thick handmade paper around it so that it would fit in the camera. The nut held the spring in place and that came next on top of the 4 batteries. This whole unit functioned as the 6 v battery. Hows that!?! I’ve been breaking my head over this battery for the last 5 days, and now finally! I have brought it back to life. Now to load the rangefinder with some film! And tell Sir about his camera!
So if you have any gadgetry that works with a 6 v battery, and you can't find the 4LR44 type battery, just make it with four LR44 batteries the way I did.
The cam & LR 44 batteries - cost me 60 bucks (just the batteries, not the cam)

The nut, spring and the four batteries with paper.

the positive terminal of the battery.

The battery homogenised and now more or less the same saize as the 5.4 volt (not manufactured anymore) that it replaces.

The mess...



2 comments:

Akshay said...

Pretty Good improvisation.... Good thing they are able to give as much current as the original battery ...

Meghana said...

Yea... All thanks to all the supreme forces that it worked! Otherwise i would have gone insane by now searching for the battery.