Monday, January 14, 2008

The idea that was...


The idea that was...
Originally uploaded by DraconianRain
Once upon a time in a magical land full of smog and pollution, I bought a little door viewer to use as a cheap fish eye lens attachment.
That experiment was highly successful. Then One day, I bought a bigger, better door viewer, and the old little one was relegated to the confines of one of the countless drawers at my house. One fine day, I had nothing to do, and I found that old little door viewer in some drawer, and I dissected it just to kill time. The parts were assembled again and put back in the drawer.
Then Another fine day, I read about Holga plastic cameras. I read about the camera, the cheap plastic lens, and found that that camera uses a meniscus lens.
Now there is a distinct connection between all the above mentioned days...
I just remembered that the old door viewer had a meniscus lens as you can see above...
So I set about to make a Holga lens. I did a few experiments with the optimum distance and all... then I realised I would need to make a little hole in the Canon's body cap. Now ... I only have a single body cap. I'll need to get some more to be able to make it fully...
I've been thinking too much. My mind is overheating (whatever little there is) so, I'm just going to take a break, have a kit kat, download more music... And resume making the lens in a few weeks time.

So if you could suggest a few places in Pune where I might get body caps for my canon 400 D... I would be very grateful.
And if anyone want to experiment and carry forward this idea... Please do so... And make your own Holga lens...

PS: I don't even know if that thing will work... So make it at your own risk.

No comments: