Thursday, December 17, 2020

Run

From the time I started realising one can like and dislike things, I have known that running is one of the activities that does not fall in the like category. I cannot run to save my life. If a tiger were to chase me, I would just give up instantly because I'll run a few meters before it catches up with me eventually. And what is the point of running anyway? It's not good for the joints (or so I thoughts). Humans can't run fast so we developed gadgets like cycles and the automobile for efficient commuting. It's too much of an effort on your big muscles and diaphragm. I can swim and cycle for hours just don't make me run. This is also partly because I tried running regularly in 2014 for a week or so when my knees gave out and began to hurt badly. I decided that I was never going to run again.
But all that changed this week. A little background: The 2020 covid-19 lockdown and restrictions made me reevaluate my life and health choices and I started exercising slowly building up my stamina till I was comfortable with 15-20 kms cycling and a light 40 minute game of solo squash daily interspersed with long sessions of online Yoga. Surely, doesn't seem too much, but it did trim down my weight marginally, built up my stamina for sustained exercise and efficient breathing, and strengthened my big thigh and leg muscles. Sometimes when I walked for a while, I got a sudden urge to just hop into a little jog (which I naturally avoided, given my past experiences with running knowing I will have to stop quickly.) But this year has brought with it a lot of surprises and though I wasn't counting or looking back at it, it had one more surprise to spare... I could run?! And not just for a couple of hundred metres... A kilometre and even more! Who knew? I started running (skeptically at first) because I was a bit bored of the usual cycling, squash and Yoga routine. I wanted some change and I was a bit inspired to push myself to try to see if I could sustain running. I ran for as long as I could, then walked and then ran again. My breathing was fine and my knees were fine. In fact they barely felt extra pressure! My legs must build up more strength to sustain me for slightly longer distances and I think I will slowly get there. I've run twice this week already and I feel fine! So it's safe to say that I came into running slowly (though what I'm doing right now is marginally better than a glorified jog!)... well at least I'm not hating it anymore... Important milestone!

PS: I am not going to let this blog post jinx the activity.

No comments: