Sunday, September 13, 2020

Hmmm...

Picture of a pineapple becasue... why not.
A picture of a pretty pineapple because... why not.

So I had a strange- I want to say 'thought' today. It's a Sunday and it's not really going well for a couple of tiny reasons starting with a slightly messed up breakfast. Yesterday Pooja and I were talking about how the slowdown has affected our work (Not Covid-19, I really mean the slowdown...) but it might also be because the nature of our work which goes against what most people think they want/need and it's difficult to really put our finger on the problem. In the meanwhile we are holding out, with some contingency measures in place. As I have mentioned before in an earlier post, I have been focusing on me and my health during this lockdown, and I've been feeling quite positive despite this situation we are in. Even now. And I feel that's one reason why this thought crossed my mind. And not for the first time.



A little background: Back when I was a semi famous, moderate local celebrity camera DIY person, spending a lot of time playing, fixing, making and generally doing fun things with photography techniques, cameras, lenses and allied equipment, I had this kind of thought for the first time. I aspired to start a company to manufacture affordable and high quality photography equipment. Even had a cool name for it - 'DRACON' (IKR!) I would have wanted to start this venture sometime in mid 2013, but by the end of that year, M+P came into existence, and that was my primary career focus (In hindsight, it was a fantastic decision as new camera companies is the last thing that would have worked with mobile phone photography exploding the way it did... My venture would have collapsed even before it could take off... similar to so many startups that I am sceptical about and don't hear about it ever post the initial enthusiasm.) I love my work at M+P. Every single moment of it gives me absolute joy and satisfaction and I want to continue and grow it (albeit, at my own pace.) But today, I suddenly that at some point of time I want to get into manufacturing... something. If not camera/equipment, at least some form of it because I understand the fun of photography OR some architectural material manufacturing which is based on the principles of sustainable, sensible and sensitive architecture that I believe in. I don't want it just for myself either. I want my friends and their expertise to be a part of it too... And as any person fresh out of college, I have daydreams of this company being an ideal business practice. Sustainable in all respects, carbon neutral and fair to its people and consumers. All while existing in our wonderful corruption free country with it's pro-business laws, government(s) and bureaucracy and with the self awareness that I may not have an aptitude for business. Such idealism, such naïveté, such... stupidity. Yet, I'm not discarding this thought... just archiving it for the time being. There's a thin line between being brave and being stupid and I intend to walk it and find out eventually.
 

Someday... someday.

2 comments:

AB said...

Hmmm
There's market for that Instax something, right? May be there is a Kickstarter waiting to happen?

Meghana said...

Sure... product options are many... but kickstarter?I don’t actually want to rely on *people*!!! I would rather get a loan from an Indian bank because they’re the most ethical as we’ve seen in the recent past.