Thursday, June 4, 2009

The very essence of 'Indianness...'

As one thing leads to another…
Yesterday afternoon at home, I felt like channel surfing. And as my fingers flickered over the now unfamiliar remote control… I stopped to watch the Music channels. The two most popular ones – M tv and Channel [V]… Its really been a while since I heard some nice new music on these music channels.
M tv hardly plays music these days, it seems… Their obsession with Roadies knows no bounds…
So I switched over to Channel [V]. And during the break, I saw an amazing advertisement. It was a public service message.

It showed Indian, and their stuff- sofas, TVs, fake flower bouquets, tables, chairs, computers, Car seats, credit cards and almost everything else … all covered in plastic…
Then this little Indian guy goes to a little Indian Mobile shop staring at stuff there, and the big Indian shopkeeper barks at him asking what he wanted… and he asks for a typically Indian mobile cover…
At the end of the advertisement, there’s a message – ‘Be Indian, use protection’
… How cool?!

The advertisement was in no way exaggerating. The other day, I spilled some water on my keyboard, so disconnected it and let it dry. Later, I reconnected it and googled for some more info on what could be done.
I was browsing through an American forum where everyone was discussing what they did when they dropped Coffee or beer on the keyboard. (Do they ever drink water?) They mentioned waterproof keyboards and new keyboards. As I read along… some guy wrote: ‘If you just keep the plastic that the keyboard comes in - on it, it’s the cheapest waterproofing you have!’ … And the first thing that came to my mind was – This guy must be Indian!’
And… he was!

3 comments:

Yash said...

really nice blog post. Made me smile at the forum post. And yeah, I believe the ad is ingenious!
however, I have never used protection-ON MY CELLPHONE! duh! And it's in working condition after almost 3 years!

Meghana said...

Hehe... true... i haven't ever had any cover for my cellphone! And it still looks pretty fresh!

Tia said...

ahhhh...this is what sterilisation campaigns were getting wrong. We shall spread the ad and no longer shall we be the largest democracy!