Sunday, August 29, 2010

I rule technology... not the other way around!

Two and a half years ago, I lost my old flash drive when we conducted a workshop on Pune and its planning at CDSA. Someone must have flicked it. I bought it in 2006, when I visited my uncle in Dubai, and I was the only one amongst my friends to have a cool 2 gig flash drive. It made things so much easier. I could carry a lot of my work to college, share music and data, and sometimes viruses. I couldn't imagine life without it. Every thing was so convenient!
And then... poof! just like that it vanished... and along with it, the convenience of portable data. I realised how much I had taken the flash drive for granted and how technology was ruling my life.
A few days later, I vowed never to buy a flash drive till it became absolutely necessary to own one.
Over the last two and a half years, I managed well even without any. I saw the price of these things dropping, the memory capacity increasing and flash drives becoming a common item available at my neighbourhood stationary shop from their erstwhile special place in electronics shop.
Now, after two and a half years or flash drive less existance, I had decided that these things were finally stripped off their elite status and were now common cheap stationary items, and I could get me one of those to make data sharing just that little easier for me.
So today evening I went to a little neighbourhood stationary shop, and bought a tiny blue 4 gig flashdrive.
Of course, the second time you buy a pendrive after losing one two and a half years ago, you use it more responsibly and decide that you'll not let it control your life.
I haven't yet put any data on it. There isn't any need to, not yet...

No comments: