Friday, January 5, 2018

Eulogy for a mentor.

It’s impossible to sum up how we feel about De Sir in a few short sentences. I'm sure every one has had their own stories with him as he has been such a strong presence in our lives personally and professionally. My first real interaction with him was during our second year Study tour to Auroville back in 2003. We chatted over several hours of rummy on the train (the card game in case anyone was wondering). And what a trip is has been since. Working with him, travelling with him, spending time in his company and learning so much from him. The generosity with which he shared knowledge from the vast repository of his experiences, reading and work has enriched our lives tremendously. Nandini Ma'm and Aparajita have been a very important part of those experiences and our lives too. We shall always be here with you and look up to your future experiences and share our lives with you.
  
Obi as his friends affectionately called him, was the Obi-wan Kenobi to my Luke sky walker. My mentor, friend and guide. Not just to me alone, to so many of us here. 
I shall continue to be curious and keep learning. To continue encouraging students and sharing my own experiences with them. To enjoy life to the fullest and taking every challenge head on just like you did.
Ever energetic, enthusiastic and cheerful, one of the last things he said to me was: "I have never been good at taking it easy. Haven't learned to do that. Don't want to either"

Thank you sir, for always seeing the best in us and inspiring us to be better!

No comments: