Thursday, July 13, 2017

Walkie TAAQies

Like so many of my thoughts, this one started with me listening to some music.
In this case, the trigger was TAAQ. 

I had the urge to listen to this Bangalore based Alt rock band's music this afternoon and I didn't have any of their albums on my computer, so I logged on to their website to stream their music. It had been a while since I did and reading through their updated content I realised they have a strong connection to Bangalore and their identity and music strongly revolves around the city. However, I'd not heard of them pre 2008 and never had any Bangalore connection except a few friends who lived there and only visited them once. I had a limited connection to the indi rock music scene in India till then. I was more of a mainstream music person.
Then in 2008, I met Praveen. The quintessential Bangalore boy. Software, bikes, music and guitar. Needless to say, we were fond of each other... for a while. And then a year later we weren't. Eventually when the smoke of a burnt relationship clears and the dust settles, one doesn't remember the person but the charred impression of the value they added to your life. Undoubtedly, music was the most important part of his contribution to mine. He introduced me to the indi rock music scene. To blues rock, indi and mainstream. To places where all the shows took place before high spirits and blue frog, many of which closed down not too much after that. To bands like Soulmate and TAAQ and so many of their live performances. 
On my part, I introduced him to musicians, bands and music I knew, and together we were this repository of rich, curiously amazing music which has the ultimate power to warm up my cold heart in many a dark winter evenings. Too poetic? I'm not waxing eloquent, it really does.
No, I don't miss him. But I miss the company of someone who can add such kind of a dimension to my life.
And as I listen to 'this is it' by Thermal and a quarter (because apparently they are three mallus and a one who is quarter mallu) I remembered a conversation Praveen, a friends of his called Arindam and I had while we were driving to a very strange local folk-blues-country band gig at Stone water grill. I remember it so vividly because I drew it.


2 comments:

Sprotor said...

The void is mutual. Thanks for the blues -- Khadki Junction, Ana Popoivc, Chris Duarte, Joe Bonamassa and the lot. I listen to all of them even today (more than I did back then). Also, thanks for all the architecture tours, stories and gyaan. I keenly follow talks and articles where ever I get a chance (Dr.BV Doshi and the likes..). You also ferried one pseudo-mallu and a paan-chewing-bihari (sans paan) in your car to a Steely Dan tribute gig. They also wanted to convey their thanks to you.

Meghana said...

Now is my chance to thank you personally.
After so many years, thanks Praveen. It wasn't all bad :)