Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Matrix vs Everlong!



I've seen the music video of Foo Fighters 'Everlong' by Michel Gondry many times till date. I've analysed the visual, aesthetic, low key, metaphorical and not to forget the mischievous and high concept yet slight absurdity of it all. But it wasn't until today that suddenly out of the blue, I realised that the video is like the most brilliant version of the 'The Matrix' by the Wachowski siblings!
Let me demonstrate by the clever use of certain strategically taken video screenshots:


Trinity and Taylor... Both fighting the bad guys...but need Neo and Dave's help...

Neo and Dave both mess up before realising they aren't who they think they really are...

Neo and Dave in the club!

THE BADDIES...!!!

Neo and Dave both wake up from Nightmares and take *the* call...

A brick wall instead of an exit... well well well....

The baddies transform...!

Okay... there's a bit of a mix-up here...

That moment when Neo and Dave finally believe!

Neo and Dave get aggressive and ready to fight anything or anyone!

Neo and Dave fight the baddies... swift and easy!
Neo and Dave get good with their guns!

BADDIES DESTROYED!


Additional observations:

'M' is for Matrix! (Also, looks more like a hand painted Motorola logo...)
Watch the 'Everlong' video here: 

2 comments:

Rambling Clayton said...

I found your post after a google search to see if anyone had the same realization I just had a moment ago.

My thinking is that Martix (1999) took a lot of cues from the Everlong video (1997). I was really into both of these as they came out, but never put it together. And it was pre-youtube etc, so it'd be a pretty hard claim to even make at the time... Seems so clear now though.

Meghana said...


I’m glad you found this post. After I posted this, I did a google search too and came across a comment on how similar the Everlong video is to the movie Inception... Michel Gondry is a genius storyteller!