Thursday, September 30, 2010

My experiments with intuitive and improvised cooking -V - the making of the Kashimiri 'Kahwa'

sometimes, I drink some tea in the afternoon. I have a stock of some mildly flavoured tea bags so the effort is minimised to heating up water and adding sugar and dipping the tea bag into the hot water.
Today afternoon, I was watching a movie on TV at teatime, and was contemplating having some tea. I glanced up at the kitchen cabinet and saw almonds which reminded me of Kashmir and the kashmiri Kahwa. I have lived in Srinagar for a couple of years during my childhood and remember the first time I drank that wonderful flavoured tea. I really love good aromas of food and drink, and what can be better than freshly brewed Kahwa with the aroma of Cinnamon? And the mild flavour of cardamom and saffron along with blanched bits of almonds and pistachios in the brown-green liquid!
So instead of drifting, I made some kahwa for the slow, lazy afternoon.
Here's how its made

for a pot of tea:
Ingredients:

1. Green tea leaves. I think the Kashmiris use some specific type of tea, but I don't know which.

2.cinnamon powder (dalchini)- maybe 1/3rd teaspoon or a little less (or 1 stick of cinnamon bark)

3. saffron - 3 to 4 pinches (I didn't find where it was hidden in the kitchen, so I didn't use it)

4. cloves - 4

5. Cardamom - 2 - mildly crushed with peels

6. Few almonds - maybe 6-8

7. Few pistachios - maybe 6-8 again

8. water... 4 cups

9. sugar as required. maybe 3-4 teaspoons.

To make the tea, boil water along with the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and sugar. take the water off the fire and add tea and leave it standing for 5-10 mins. Strain the tea and add saffron
Heat over a low flame and add chopped pistachios and almonds.
And you have fragrant and delicious Kahva!



No comments: