Monday, December 31, 2007

look back, look forth...

2007... I was looking forward to this one for a long time. As was the year I would graduate... and I did. And now that it's almost over (with just a few hours to go... ) let me (for the first time ever) sum up the year!
the new years eve 2006 was a very quiet one with not much excitement. I wasn't overly happy, infact pretty jittery and nervous. The best thing I did was watch fireworks from my terrace. And the one call I expected didn't arrive, and I had to make the effort myself. It was in a way... a very disappointing start for the new year, and i though, would be really difficult to pick up from there. It seemed, that this year would be long drawn, slow and disappointing. I didn't overly expect from the year, and left it all for fate to decide.
So the first little fissures arrived soon enough and I saw myself slide into the lowest chasm I have ever been in. It is difficult to accept a break up, without letting it affect everything else around you. the strains were hard to keep to myself, and I found myself cracking up... But I found a little new photo group which kept me occupied otherwise. So that was one of the high points of the year.



we had a memorable holi on my terrace. my college mates! It was real fun... deadly celebrations! had to get the terrace painted once again... (we had to get it done anyway... holi just gave us an excuse... )

Photoshoots were the regular activity and I got to see many new laces and sides of Pune, and got to meet, surprisingly, a great bunch of individuals which is so rare an occurrence. We had the best of times exploring places in and around Pune!
The first Lunar eclipse of the year and the first full eclipse in three years was clearly visible from Pune, so the beautiful night was enjoyed on the lovely ambiance of my terrace.The solar eclipse followed soon after. Was quiet a sight too...


The first half of the year was my Thesis semester... and my last of the 5 yrs of grueling b.arch course. I wasn't happy with what I was doing... for once i realised that i was doing the wrong things at the wrong time, and that could affect a lot of things. But I persisted with it. And I also faced an unknown Godzilla eating up all my hard work of the past few months on my HDD. Well, the work was the last thing on my mind... I lost some precious photographs and music , and I still feel sad about it... But I recovered from that too, and moved on.
Thesis wasn't really going well, when something happened that shouldn't have. Girish passed away while on a drunk driving spree. And that too just a few days before our vivas. Just when he could have become an architect... just when he had started living his dream. Just when things were going right... We all learnt the hard way, but at the loss of a friend.
It was but thesis time, and we had to move on, once again. And we did.
Komal's wedding gave us something to look forward to. A classmate's wedding is real fun! After a lot of debating, we attended her wedding at Nasik, just a few days before our jury. and I wore a sari!
Then came the day of the Jury... and post jury... i was really really really down and out... I was just told on my face that I wouldn't clear with what I did... So i was prepared to give it the next semester. And I recovered from that jolt too.
Then I started having fun... photo shoots and all... My birthday came along with a pro account as gifted by my flickr friends... and that was a pleasant surprise! and was a beautiful summer!
We had shoots all along ... the Lonavala stn to khandala stn walk being the biggest. That was fun.






I did an experiment somewhere this time... and that was 75 mins star trails with Pooja's Nikon FM 2... For someone who doesn't know much about Film photography, this was one hell of a successful experiment!

hen came my pilgrimage tour to Auroville... need I say more... I love that place. and I keep going there. It was a good trip and Devina accompanied me there. My juniors had just started training there, and I showed them around, taking them places there. It was fun... reliving those magical days I spent in Auroville last year! After auroville, I headed to Bangalore for my friend Navisa's very Marvari wedding! What colour! It was an experience I can never forget!
Auroville, and Bangalore and a 5 hour Rain delay later, I found myself back at Pune... totally unwell, and with results just 2 a few days away.
Result day: I knew the outcome, but couldn't help feel jumpy! So off I was to college... and what do i see... I cleared... I don't know how, I don't want to know how... But I passed... and that was the end of B.ARCH!
And then started a brand new adventure! Part time work with my teachers. That still continues, BTW... and my first ever Digital Single Lens Reflex camera! I and many many photoshoots!
So I started experimenting with my camera and all...


Then came the Ecological society course on Natural resource management and ecological restoration. It gave me a different outlook on things, and continues to do so...
I started experimenting with my camera soon enough, and made some awesome things. Like a macro attachment thats a big hit! And also my very own cheap Fish eye attachment.
So i was experimenting... as usual...
So, Photoshoot, field visits, work and eco soc. classes, trips... loads of those : to Chakrata and Delhi, Phaltan... it has been something
Kaas
Mastani Lake
Panshet Market
Temghar Dam
Bedse caves
Just a few places I visited...

The Chakrata trip was fantastic! It has been really eye opening and informative. Any trip will not be the same for me again. Learnt how much patience it requires for bird watching
Visited Delhi during Diwali... it was a fun week reliving the wonderful few years I spent there.

We had a photo shoot at Wai and one of my pictures from that shoot made it to flickr blog, and highest position for my photos on Flickr explore pages! That was the pic of an old payphone! I also like one more from that shoot.
Got to see stunning Geminids fireballs and meteor showers quiet by accident! Went to Bhimashankar soon afterwards...
then came the convocation... the unceremonious handing over of our degrees 6 months later...
But, now I can register with the Council of architecture and be called Meghana Kulkarni, Architect! i have a mixed reaction to that... But then, it's a phase... moving on once more.
Then Came the Phaltan trip with Eco soc. which was also a very eye opening trip! It has to be one of the most beautiful places I have seen...

So here I am, in the final few hours of the year 2007. It has been a year of jolts, surprises and turmoils. But i have tried to rise above all. I have loved, and lost... than never to have loved at all. Made some excellent new friends. Strengthened old bonds. traveled a lot. Discovered some new places. Learnt to let go, move on, and have no strings attached. Not that I have implimented anything, but hope to do so soon.
The one thing I have really learnt from all those yesterdays, is that I shouldn't really expect anything. Just keep living and experiencing instinctively. Believe in ideals and follow them with all your heart. There is a long way to go, and I have just about started.
And I have found my direction. Just need to continue on that path, no matter how hard it seems.
Do that was de-constructing the new year.
I'm looking forward to the new one, 2008. I don't know what it'll bring. But I'm ready to face it, head on, as a new challenge.


-------------------------------------------------------------- Meghana

No comments: